Monday, January 10, 2005

Good Life

As I think back about my weekend, I can’t help but smile. It was stuffed with smiles, hugs, love and happiness. I saw most of my favorite people, ate at my favorite restaurant, danced, laughed and played.

Every day was a little different, seeing different people and doing different things, but they were all equally wonderful. Hunny and I went out to eat on Friday and went shopping. It was so nice to spend some time away from home with him, even if it was just around the corner in a restaurant. We’ve been cooped up in the house for the last couple of weeks and needed the fresh air desperately. I think it made him feel better too.

I started my new dance class on Saturday and it felt so great to stretch out and wiggle. I even learned a new step that proves to be a challenge. It’s always better when they are difficult. It’s so much more rewarding when you finally work it out. The teacher did give me a little thumbs up and a “perfect” when I first tired it. I guess it was better than I thought! Or at least “perfect” enough for my first shot. :) It’s always a good thing when the teacher picks you out of 30+ girls with a head nod of approval.

But Saturday wasn’t about me. Saturday was my mother’s birthday, and after I was all done giving my self much needed love and attention (dancing), I swung by the house to grab hunny and we zoomed off to my folks’ house. I was delighted to see that mom was already there. My brother had taken her out for a movie and I wasn’t sure they’d be there when we arrived, but they were. I hugged her and wished her a Happy Birthday. I love my family so much. We’re wild and loud and I normally need a breather halfway through the visit, and 9 times out of 10 I leave with a headache from laughing so much.

But how can I complain? I’m swarmed by beautiful squirmy children who love me and beam with glee when they see me. My best friend calls them yard monkeys. :) They are the children I don’t have. And not just the three little ones I normally see. All six of my nieces are my babies. Ranging from 2 ½ to 13! I love them like they are my own. And that’s only the half of it. I’m constantly surrounded by my people, my family, my clan, when I’m there. My folks are wonderful, my brother is amazing and my sister is incredible. I didn’t get to see my sister or her family this weekend, but that’s really okay. We can’t always all be together.

Anyway, I’ve gotten off track. Mom’s birthday was fantastic. I hope she had as much fun as I did. :)

My Sunday was just as great in all different ways. If I can’t spend time with my family, the next best person is my best friend. Hunny, of course, fits into a whole different category. :p

We beaded jewelry and went shopping and beaded some more. She and I went to eat with another girl we know, and just generally had a great day. She’s so fun and creative and smart. She inspires me, in lots of ways. I guess it’s a good thing he’s my best friend. :D

On the way home I listened to my favorite band. And like always, I heard a lyric I’ve heard for years. But it spoke to me at this time in my life. “The future is no place, to place your better days.” ~ Dave Matthews

No, you know what Dave? It’s not. I’m normally really good about living life in the now. I recognize the good things in my life. Family, friends, health. But I don’t always, and last night when I heard that lyric I realized that I need to live a little more in the now when it comes to personal self. Sure, it’s good to have goals and work toward them, but while you are working toward them you can’t forget about the path you have to take to get there. Keep your thoughts on where you might want to be, but not so much that you don’t have a good time along the way.

I need to realize that the body I’m in now is what I’ve got to live with, for now. I need to grasp dancing completely instead of thinking I won’t be good until my body is different. Whether that be stronger or thinner or whatever. I’m good now. I can be 215 and dance as good as the next girl. It doesn’t matter. I don’t want to waste all of this time not being as happy as I can be because I expect it to be better later.

“The future is no place, to place your better days.”

No comments: