Tuesday, January 04, 2005

French Fries - NO MORE!

Or at least as little as possible. I can't imagine spending the rest of my life without having a french fry. Especially those big fat ones from KFC. But I rarely get those anyway. What I'm talking about is the daily intake my fat ass has grown accustom to.

I tried to cut out fast food completely, and I hate to say it, but it's just too difficult to make that drastic of a change. And eating that much fast food isn't about the food, it's about the habit and convenience. So a few months ago, I came up with an idea. It didn't really have anything to do with working fast food out of my diet, hell, it didn't really have anything to do with anything except my curiosity.

I decided to not eat beef. I wanted to see if:

1. Can I do it?
2. How much beef do I really eat?
3. Will it make me feel any different?

Well, 1 came pretty easily. I didn't have one bite of beef for 3 weeks. 2 came as a shock. I realized my main beef intake was 3-4 Quarter Pounders a week, with a few Sonic burgers thrown in. 3 was expected. I haven't been as nearly lethargic after lunch as I had been before after snarfing down a damn 1/4 lb'er.

After 3 weeks I had a small chicken fried steak at my Aunt's house. I didn't want to be rude, and I honestly didn't want to make a fuss, since this was just a little experiment, and 1 small steak wouldn't hurt. And it really was pretty small. No worries. After that I've had beef here and there, but I've yet to have a Fast Food HAMBURGER. I've had fast food tacos and burritos with beef, and I've had spaghetti a couple of times with meat sauce. So my NO beef experiment is pretty much over. But the lifestyle change is permanent.

The main reason for this is the amazing 10 lbs I've lost JUST because I'm not eating that 1 item anymore. That's just insane. That by not eating a 1/4 lb'er I can actually, magically loose 10 lbs. And I ain't lookin for 'em either!

So this leads me to my next step in what has now become the long, slow process of lifestyle change. I will eventually weed out fast food as my main source of meals. French Fries are next.
Starting today, I didn't order the 'value meal'. I ordered 1 chicken sandwich. No soda, no fries. Hell I might as well cut the sodas out too. Most of my soda intake is at lunch anyway. That'll be easy enough. Water really is my drink of choice.

Well, there ya go. This is my plan, and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

John Piccolo said...

Good for you and you no what the best part is? You will fell better also. You can kill 2 birds with one stone and actually see how much you will save by not eating all that fast food in a week. I stopped buying luches at work and save almost 35 bucks a week from it.

good luck :)