Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Ramblings

I've got most of my Christmas shopping done. And today I got the wrapping paper and bags that I'll need for all of it. I tell ya, it sure is hard not to get all that expensive cute stuff that matches. I suppose if I didn't have to buy for so many, and it was just one or two cute presents, I could afford to do that. But I figure, the paper is hardly noticed anyway, especially by the little ones. So I got the big roll for 3 dollars. That should take care of most the presents. I had to grab a couple of bags for some pillows I bought my two oldest nieces. It's not easy wrapping pillows. Might as well just throw them in a decorative bag.

I have four more items to get. I sure am thankful that not only can I afford to buy things for my family, I don't have to hawk crap anymore to do it. I tell ya, that ex of mine sure was a piece of work. He spent every cent he could on crap. Material BS to fill the hole in his soul. And of course it never was good enough, and there always had to be more. More, more, more. We were always juggling something, pawning things, borrowing money from friends and family. I got financial freedom when I kicked his ass out as well. It took me a little while to get back on my feet, but within a few short months I was pretty on top of my bills again. Of course this was over 2 years ago, so things have been straight for a while. But it always blew my mind that we collectively made plenty to take care of what we had, and yet, we were always broke and struggling. I have less now than we did then and I'm way better off. Anyway, there's plenty of other things I have to worry about, and I'm really glad it's not money anymore.

I was pleasantly surprised this past Saturday when I got on the scale. I don't normally do this. I'm not obsessed with weighing myself everyday and freaking out about 5lb fluxuations. I think I step on the scale once every 6 to 8 weeks. For most of the last year and a half it's floated around 225. Sometimes on a "good" day it was 220. But it hasn't been under 220 in over 2-ish years. Well it was about 217. A little hard to tell cause those lines between the "5's" are miniscule. But I went around all day feeling as if I've lost 7lbs, and proudly announced it to those who would listen. Not the stranger at the grocery store, but family and friends. So for the first time in almost 2 years it was under 220. In the middle of the Holiday season too, I might add. I've yet to hop back on it. I don't want to burst my bubble. :)

My beginner BellyDance class graduation dress rehearsal is this coming Saturday. I've got the dance down pretty good. It's far from perfection, but what do you expect from beginners anyway? The graduation is on the 18th. I'm looking forward to moving onto the next class. And I'm only slightly nervous about our little "show." See about 3 years ago I took a class for about a year, and we did two shows. So this is old hat to me now. I know what to expect, and I know I like it, even if it does make me nervous. It's always a good time. I think it's funny that in class our teacher always reminds us to smile. I've figured out that I don't have to practice smiling in class, cause I can't keep a big ass grin off my face when I'm in front of a bunch of people shaking my ass. It's just too damn fun to not smile. :D


No comments: