Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Project Noah

While reading about black widows on the Texas Park and Wildlife website yesterday, I saw this beautiful banner ad for a site called Project Noah.




Those big, basic, colorful badges made me want them. So I clicked it. Turns out they're electronic badges, but that is okay. They're still cool.

Anyway, the site is pretty neat. You upload photos of nature you've taken and add information about the organism you've photographed. The site explains it better:

"What is Project Noah? Project Noah is a tool that nature lovers can use to explore and document local wildlife and a common technology platform that research groups can use to harness the power of citizen scientists everywhere."

Can you say nerdy modern day photo journal insect collection? Can you say it 10 times fast?

Despite the fact that I love the idea of this, I'm also feeling warm and fuzzy about the way the site looks. A good website is always something to appreciate.

I have a TON of photos of critters and plants. I plan on uploading, identifying, tagging, and geo-tagging some of my better shots.

Here is one I uploaded earlier.


Mangrove Swallow

Part of the fun is figuring out what you've photographed. That is if you don't already know. Until today, until I chose this photo to research and upload, I didn't know what this beautiful little bird was. Because of this site, it made me want to find out. I suppose that is part of the point. So I did. Neat huh?

You should try it too!

1 comment:

Wong Chun Xing said...

What's your Project Noah's name?
I would like to see your spottings.