Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Massage

It's been too long. Or it had been too long. I figure it had been at least 9 months since I had one. I've needed one for a long time. My shoulders and neck get tight and knotted up. I wake up in pain every morning, unable to bend my head down without feeling a hard tight pull of pain all the way down my back. Well yesterday I had had enough. I woke up feeling terrible. A tension headache spider webbed across the back of my skull. My sinuses clogged and aching.

I almost called into work sick, but came in anyway. After a short discussion with my boss, he told me I should go if I'm not feeling well. So I picked up the phone and called my massage therapist and got an appointment for later in the afternoon.

By the time I got there, my headache was gone. I'm glad I didn't have to get a massage with a headache. That's never fun. Anyway, he got to work on me and I let him beat me up pretty good. He's extremely strong and can really dig down deep and work the tension out. He also does stretching and spine popping. He'll grab my leg and twist it and bend it and pull it all around. Throw it over my body and the side of the table, pulling it hard to stretch out my hip, then push to pop my back. He does serious pressure point work on the base of my skull. That almost always puts me to sleep. It's incredible to say the least.

I'm sore today. But only from all the work he did. I'm not tense. Just tender. I'll be drinking my weight in water today, so hopefully I can wash all the toxins he worked out of my shoulders, out of my body.

I'm not waiting 9 months to go again. 6 weeks tops. I want to get a follow up massage that's not as intense and then after that, I'll go when I feel the knot tightening in my shoulder.

I always forget about the general relaxed feel I get after seeing him. Not a muscle relaxation, but a mental relaxation. I always enter into a mind set of less stress. I don't seem to get flustered or worked up over things at work. I don't feel hurried. I generally just don't care so much. :)

He does awesome work. *sigh*

No comments: