Tuesday, December 02, 2008

What Would You Do...

...if your commute was 92 miles round trip every day to work?
...if your car had over 123,000 miles on it?
...if 2 1/2 hours of your day is spent in your car?
...if you resigned?
...if your boss asked you to think about what your condition would be to stay?
...if you aren't sure if telecommuting 3 days a week will be sufficient to keep you from hating the drive?
...if you do quit you'll take a serious pay cut?

I'm prepared to take the pay cut. If I wasn't then I wouldn't have put in my notice, however, it is tempting to stay IF I don't have to drive in 5 days a week. However, I'm not even sure I want to ask for a work week that will have me only coming in 2 days a week. Part of me wants to just say never mind and quit completely.

This is my dilemma.

3 comments:

Rocky Mountain Suz said...

It sounds like to me you had your resignation and next steps all worked out and now you're being presented with options you didn't count on.

Have you done the math on how many hours you'll be saving by telecommuting, factor in your personal time, gas etc and if it's worth to do that rather than take a pay cut?

If I were you I would look at the big picture and decide what is worth more---your time or the money that your current job provides.

Good luck, kiddo!

Tara said...

I think it depends on how much you like your job. I like mine a lot, so when I started telecommuting three days a week, I felt that doing the 150 mile drive twice a week was totally worth it. And I LOVE working from home. If I didn't like my job so much, I'm sure I'd feel differently. Also, I live in the boonies, so ANY job I'd have would be far from home!

S. Kay said...

You know I just went down this road, so I know exactly where you are coming from. I know this sounds lame, but trust me, it works. Crank up Excel and make yourself a "Pro" column and a "Con" column and honestly list everything you like and dislike about your work situation in the appropriate column. Then close the worksheet and don't think about it until next day. Go back and read it fresh, and take a hard look at your pro-vs-con feelings.

Nobody can make the decision but you. In my case, the only thing in my "pro" column was, "Giant shitloads of money" and after some thought, I decided that wasn't really enough to put up with the giant list of "Cons" I call it the "Assache to Paycheck ratio." Find yours.