Thursday, October 23, 2008

Victory Garden, Freedom Garden, Front Yard Garden, Whatever

I'm putting in a vegetable garden. The back yard is dog space and too shady so the front yard gets the tilling. I have ideas of how I want to put the beds in and how to plant the seeds I've purchased but just like everything else, we'll see how it looks when it is all said and done.

I bought Broccoli, Carrots, Corn, Cowpeas, Lettuce, Okra, Onion, Spinach and Tomato seeds. They are all heirloom so I hope to plant the following year's crop from seeds that come off of these plants. I'm also looking to add in Garlic, Pumpkin and Zucchini but I haven't found/purchased those seeds yet. I need to find the garlic ASAP since it is a bulb and needs to go in the ground this fall.

I'm really looking forward to doing this. If I weren't headed out of town this weekend I'd be spending it measuring the areas I plan to plant and researching how I'm going to build the beds. I want to make it look as nice as possible but of course be functional as well.

I know there will be much trial and error but you have to start somewhere! I figure in a few years’ time I'll look back at the beginnings and laugh at the silly noobie mistakes I've made. Feel free to point me in the right direction if you see photos or read comments about what I'm doing that don't seem quite right. I don't mind folks passing on knowledge!

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll post an update on this project with photos of sad little brown beds, ready and waiting for seeds and plants.

Also, I'd like to suggest that if you aren't doing something similar, contemplate it. It's a good thing to do for many reasons. It's better for you health wise, money wise and better for the environment since you won't be contributing to shipping in foods that you'd normally buy at the store.


Photo found at www.nebraskastudies.org

Just something to think about. Times are a changing, and in my opinion, they really ought to be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for checking out the video contest- and the one about planting a garden at the White House is totally relevant to your adventure into gardening. Way to take action!