Thursday, October 30, 2008

Seeds!

Well, they're here.

Seeds!


Now... I have to build the beds. I don't have a ton of space or any experience so I have a feeling this weekend is going to be a cluster f***. I'll be trying to plan, measure, buy, build and prep. I can't decide if I want to get the whole lot planned out or just one bed to start. I have no idea how much materials will cost and wish I could find some used scraps lying around instead.

I also just realized that I ought to think about keeping the paths that will run between the beds clear of weeds. I can't imagine trying to get the weed whacker in between them, fighting the cord all the while so it doesn't tear down my plants.

I have a huge pile of wood chips at my disposal though so I might just throw a thick mat of that down to start and see how that works. Really I won't have to worry about much weed growth at all for the next few months.

Anyway, I'm apprehensive and excited. I really hope that by the end of the weekend I've got what is in my head reflected back at me in my front yard.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Tara said...

Your wood chips will be great for paths. I need something like that myself, or I will in the spring, anyway. I want to try to get my cover crop in on Sunday.

Sarah said...

Well there is a giant stump and pile of chips in the lot behind my house. I have no idea how long it will be there but if you wanna come pull your little truck up and fill it full, I say go for it. :)

1curlydoc said...

Good luck! I'm working on a similar project right now - moving my vegetable garden to raised beds in a sunnier part of the yard - so I know how overwhelming it can feel. Hopefully, next Spring both of us will have a bunch of finished beds all ready to plants tons of veggies!